Event: 2015 Celtic Nations Date: 31st October 2015 Location: Ireland, Venue tbc
This international selection policy has been created in line with Weightlifting Ireland’s aims to continue to compete in the Celtic Nations since it re-emerged in 2013.
To be considered for selection for the 2015 Senior World Weightlifting Championships, athletes must fulfil the following criteria:
- Hold a valid Irish passport or hold residency for a minimum of 3 years in the Island of Ireland.
In the case of multiple citizenship, the athlete must not have represented another country within a twelve month period.
- Be a current member of Weightlifting Ireland, and be in good standing with Weightlifting Ireland and/or its affiliated bodies or partners.
- Be compliant with the Weightlifting Ireland anti-doping procedures. 5. Be aged fifteen years or older in 2015.
- Have achieved the relevant Weightlifting Ireland qualification standard during the outlined qualification period (see Part 3 below).
- Attend at least one of the designated preparatory High Performance Squad Sessions for the World Championships.
Qualification Period: January 1st 2015 – September 13th 2015
- 4 x Senior Male lifters
- 4 x Senior Female lifters
- 2 x Junior Male lifters
- 2 x Junior Female lifters
- 2 x Youth Male lifters
- 2 x Youth Female lifters
4. Fitness & Selection/Deselection
Weightlifting Ireland reserve the right to deselect a qualified athlete if it is deemed that the athlete cannot show a satisfactory level of fitness in the run-up to an event. Fitness will be monitored during designated High Performance Squad Sessions & at competitions. Following qualification for an international event Weightlifting Ireland will monitor form, injury, body weight changes & commitment to ensure that the qualified athlete(s) is performing at a satisfactory level.
Upon being selected for the Celtic Nations, athletes will be required to:
- – Sign a ‘Code of Conduct Contract’ & ‘Squad Member Agreement’
- – Where possible, wear Weightlifting Ireland apparel at High Performance Squad Sessions & atinternational events
- – Take all necessary steps to ensure the performance committee are informed in advance ofreasonable requests for absence at High Performance Squad Sessions & at international
events, e.g. injury, illness, personal obligations
- – Refrain from making public announcements about selection until after an officialWeightlifting Ireland press release has taken place
Selection will be based on the highest sinclair achieved in the following categories during the qualification
6. Selection Panel
The selection panel will be chaired by the Weightlifting Ireland Performance Director and will also include two other High Performance Committee members. All conflicts of interest will be declared and in the event of a conflict, the chairperson will decide whether or not the conflicted individual can take part in the selection discussion.
A conflicted individual will not be permitted to vote. Depending on the severity of the conflict, the chair may ask that the conflicted party refrain from discussion while that order of business is conducted. Decisions made will then be presented before the Weightlifting Ireland Board before being released to the public.
Athletes have the right to their non-selection or de-selection in accordance with “WI Selection Appeals Policy”. A copy can be obtained from our website: www.weightliftingireland.com